Links May 2020
Some more interesting links:
- Chrome Kiosk Mode to build custom kiosk devices
- hCaptcha – recaptcha-like, but focused on privacy. Cloudflare has moved to it.
- Ask HN: Is your company sticking to on-premise servers? Why?. Some highlights:
- Not sure that’s universally true. We have probably tens of thousands of EC2 instances in our infra right now. Just the cost alone to build out on-prem infra and migrate things over would likely wipe out a half-decade or more of cost savings. And in the meantime our shift in focus would hurt our market position. If we’d started in the beginning (11 or 12 years ago) with our own infra, I imagine our recurring infra costs would be lower right now, but I also suspect that our 3-person founding team would have failed to produce an MVP before their initial time and money ran out. If I were starting a company now, I’d probably do things in a more “platform agnostic” way such that a cloud->on-prem migration might be easier. But I still never expect it’d be easy.
- I agree with everything you say – I’m convinced that a huge part of the cloud’s financial success is due to how it allows CTOs/CIOs to indulge their fantasies about having a mega-scalable app – even if their workloads are very regular and predictable. Along the lines of buying an expensive sports car but never driving it fast, you’re just paying for the kudos it brings you in the eyes of other people. Having said that, we are happily using the cloud for our small app because it makes no sense to build out our own infrastructure for a single VPS and database.
- XOD – visual IDE for Arduino.
- Opod living space – a living space prototype made out of concrete water pipe.
- The man who lived 50 years off the grid in a redwood forest
🕶 Cool stuff:
- Now you can remote control people in the Faroe Islands – a crazy project by Faroe Islands administration. Project Web-Site.
- ISS Docking Simulator by SpaceX (you can also make Earth flat in the settings)
- Russian Espionage and Electromagnetic Fields: The Story of the Theremin